DISCLAIMER: This is not exactly a live blog and it’s definitely not a Finder’s Guide. It’s what I’ve found so far. There’s also probably some stuff I’m missing. :)
Here’s what I’ve found so far (DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE SPOILED!)…
CHAPTER 16: PROFESSOR TRELAWNEY’S PREDICTION
Scene 1 (“Exam Time”)
Not long ago, I was challenged to write a fanfic using Lupin’s “Obstacle Course” concept. :) This makes it all the more exciting to see the beautiful Pottermore artwork for this scene. Still, I’m not getting everything right. The nifty new “completion bar” at the bottom of the scene tells me that I must have missed something. So I’m hoping you will help me find it.
- Zoom 1:
- With your cursor, you can make the Grindylow swim around its pool in the foreground.
- COLLECT Knotgrass – at bass of the tank in which the Grindylow is swimming.
- COLLECT Leeches – in the pool to the right of the Grindylow’s tank. (Thanks, Let’s Call Me Lily and Ritwik!)
- Zoom 2:
- The Red Caps are out in force! They will pop out of their holes with little prompting, but your cursor can help determine which ones pop out when.
- COLLECT Horned Slugs – from the marshy area to the left back.
- Zoom 3:
- Your cursor can make the wispy Hinkypunk appear, holding his lantern to lead you astray.
- COLLECT Fluxweed in the marshy area towards the back – by what I assume to be the boggart’s cabinet.
Okay, so now… I’m STILL missing something in this scene! (And yeah, I’ve had the Hinkypunk all along, so I’m not sure what I haven’t got or haven’t done).
Scene 2 (“The Committee”)
My completion bar is all the way full in this scene, so I know I found everything. This is actually one of the more disturbing scenes in PoA. I’m just glad Pottermore gave us plenty of activity to distract us… and that Hermione had her trusty Time Turner handy!
One thing that I learned as I went along with the new layout is that mouse movements (i.e., various actions) contribute as much to chapter completion as collecting things do. Since the old layout didn’t give us a completion bar, I didn’t realize this when I was first working with the completion bar in Chapter 16. At any rate, my completion bar for Scene 2 is full, but that doesn’t mean that I necessarily took note of everything necessary in order to make it full.
In the Comments, Ritwik asks: “in moment 2 how can your be filled when you didn’t shake the trees and let the crows fly and why didn’t you touch buckbeak’s ear”? And the truth is… I don’t know. I probably did all those things and didn’t say anything about them when I did them. So anyway, if your completion bar is not full in Scene 2, you might try shaking the trees to get the crows to fly and you might try touching Buckbeak’s ear. And actually, I do seem to vaguely recall doing those things when I first went through this scene!
- Zoom 1:
- COLLECT Tilly Toke Chocolate Frog Card. She saved Muggle lives when a dragon swooped down on a beach.
- COLLECT Bertie Bott’s Aubergine-Flavoured Bean.
- Zoom 2:
- COLLECT Valerian Springs.
- COLLECT Dried Nettles.
- Make the door to Hagrid’s shack shake with your cursor.
Key to Zoom Levels:
I am using the conventions I’ve seen used elsewhere when discussing Pottermore zoom levels:
- Zoom 1 = the original zoom level.
- Zoom 2 = zoom in one level from Zoom 1.
- Zoom 3 = zoom in two levels from Zoom 1.
- Zoom OUT 2 = zoom out one level from Zoom 1.
- Zoom OUT 3 = zoom out two levels from Zoom 1.